Sevnica castle park
The summer months of 2013 brought a total overhaul of the Sevnica castle surroundings, now enriched by the castle park. Along with the castle it forms a unique whole of our common cultural heritage. A great deal of curiosity and interest from locals and visiting guests was aimed at the new arrangements, which are a rare example of a completely renewed castle park in Slovenia (almost the only one in the last 20 years).
The decorative garden was made in the first quarter of the 19th century, namely after 1803, when the Sevnica castle was bought by Janez NepomukHaendl (later elevated to lord Rebenburg), who planted many exotic species, demolished the defensive walls, buried the trenches and tidied the cultural terraces on the south slope, on which he planted vines. The garden was something special even in those times, confirmed by the fact that the archduke Janez wanted to see it personally in 1812. Some of the oldest trees on the perimeter of the castle planes and the historicist accessories (eg. the neo-Gothic balcony rails by the view point by the stone lions, the carved stone base of the viewing pavilion to the west of the castle, the rustic garden portal with double wrought iron gates, the ornamented tiles from river pebbles in front of the Lutheran cellar, etc.) are allegedly from this time period.
The highest terrace by the stone wall under the decorative garden had a sprawling vegetable garden, mentioned in the Franciscean cadastre of 1825. From that register it can be seen that the decorative gardens were comprised of two developed parterres. Both reflect the symmetry and orthogonality of the concept, but they differ in ornaments. The internal symmetry and ornamentation of both parts display a baroque design influence, further complemented by the Rococo winding shape of the connecting walkways.
Many preserved (and now restored) park sculptures, among them Mary with child on a pedestal, the plastics of a dog and frog, the stone vase and lion sculptures, speak of the luxury of the former ornamental garden. In the Franciscean cadastre there is a fountain as a central motif on the western part, though its existence was never proved and today it is placed in the central part of the western side. Distinctive central tendencies of the western part with its crossover path design is inspired by the Renaissance garden decorating role models typical of German lands at the turn of the 16th to 17th century, while the eastern parterre reflects Baroque influences. The forms are softer, the ornaments are dynamic with a central focus, which at first probably accentuated the California incense-cedar, still growing today.
The current skyline of the castle park modeled after the former ornamental garden shows and reveals the magnificence of the Sevnica castle surroundings. The reconstructed eastern terrace with its balustrade fence with stone spheres, torches, neo-Renaissance vases and neo-Baroque stone flower vases are particularly interesting. Today, you can walk in the castle park under the canopy of many trees, especially during the summer months, when they offer shade to numerous visitors.
In the western part of the park the London planetrees (Platanus acerifolia) and copper beech (Fagus sylvatica "Atropunicea") stand out, while in the eastern part the Californian incense-cedar (Calocedrus decurrens) stands out with its oblique growth. Other trees found in the park are maple (Acer sp.), English yew (Taxus baccata), common hornbeam (Carpinus betulus), horse chestnut (Aesculus hippocastanum), eastern white pine (Pinus strobes), common ash (Fraxinus excelsior), sessile oak (Quercus petraea), largeleaf linden (Tilia platiphyllos), black locust (Robinia pseudoacacia), European hop-hornbeam (Ostrya carpinifolia) and giant redwood (Sequoiadendron giganteum). Marked energy points are among the castle park trees, on whose land the earth emits its energy and in the warmer months you can relax and enjoy yourself on the styled wooden benches. Planted boxwood and hornbeam hedges give life to the stone objects in the park.
You can also enjoy the viewing pavilion on the far western edge of the park, the perfect place for romance and watching sunsets. The unique panorama is complemented by the entirely renovated castle villa by the castle park above the castle vineyard with 500 blue franconian vines. The garden architectural heritage of Sevnica castle is described in detail by the ZKVDS conservator of the OE Celje Andreja Mihelčič, as the Sevnica castle and its surrounding’s flora and fauna is described by the biologist Dušan Klenovšek in contributions to the monograph Grad Sevnica, issued in 2011 by the society TRG Sevnica.
The renovated surroundings of Sevnica castle also allows the preparation and upgrades of a variety of content (weddings and events), which we implement with careful reflection and responsibility in such a way that it satisfies the needs and wishes of its users as much as possible. Sevnica castle and its surroundings are our common cultural heritage and should be protected and used carefully in order for it to remain in all its beauty for future generations!